Thursday 31 March 2011

An American Werewolf In London (1981)

A Cult Classic - 4/5
So I saw this film just now called 'An American Werewolf In London'. After previously watching 'Logan's Run' I am beginning to get into retro sci-fi films and this film only added to my love of the genre. The film was everything I hoped it would be and more. It was retro sci-fi at its best and was extremely funny in places. This one had been on my 'to watch' list for an awful long time so I decided to sit down today and watch. I'm so glad I did. The film has become an instant favourite and I'm sure still carries a very strong cult following today. The director John Landis has dealt his hand in many of my favourite films including 'The Blues Brothers' and 'Trading Places'.

This is the first film I've watched containing David Naughton and I've got to say he was brilliant. He had a brash air to him and carried the film in terms of comedy throughout. However, when looking at the Thespians involved, I have to focus of the effervescent Jenny Agutter. Since I saw 'Logan's Run' she has become one of my favourite actresses and in this film she proved why. Not only is she beautiful but she manages to bring genuine emotion to a film. I enjoyed her role immensely. I could have sworn John Woodvine, who played Dr Hirsch, was the voice of Fozzie Bear (The Muppets) but after some research I haven't found anything to support this. Don't you hate when that happens; when you hear a familiar voice but you can't place it for ages and you spend the whole film wondering about it.

After seeing this film I am planning to watch a lot more retro sci-fi so keep a look out for that. As far as this film goes, it is a cult classic and I would recommend it in an instant.

You May Also Like: Logan's Run

3 comments:

Dusty said...

One of my absolute favorites...seen at an age when I was waaayyy too young. I don't how Landis managed to blend comedy and horror so well. But he did! I also love his screenplay for this movie...why didn't the guy write more? If you like Landis, also check out Into the Night with Jeff Goldblum. Lots of fun. Nice review, man. Keep 'em coming.

Larry Taylor said...

The nightmare he has where the nazi pig monster... things... invade his house and kill his family... one of the craziest scenes in all of film.

Great movie.

Jack Ibbetson said...

Thanks for the support Dusty! So glad I chose to watch this film. Yeah, that nightmare scene was very messed up especially when the thing stabs Jenny Agutter.

Post a Comment

Search This Blog