Wednesday 30 March 2011

Robin Hood (2010)

Good Take On A Classic - 4/5
So I saw this film yesterday called 'Robin Hood'. This was Ridley Scott's take on the adventures of the fabled English character and is now among my favourite films of the story. Unlike many other Robin Hood films, this one focused on his early story before he became an outlaw. I was a bit disappointed that we didn't see much 'stealing from the rich to give to the poor' in this film but seeing the story from a fresh perspective was a nice surprise. This is not the only way Scott's adaptation differs from others such as 'Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves'. This version had a tangibly darker feel than the normal family films we are given. Although these types of films are enjoyable, seeing a more violent and overall more adult version was also refreshing. However, I think Scott could have taken this further. The film should have been bumped up to a 15 rating to enable more violence and blood. At times it felt a bit tame and I think if it was going to be a dark take on the tale Scott should have gone all out to make it so.

Russell Crowe made a decent hero in his usual monotonous way. He was effective but I don't think he made the perfect Robin Hood. Kevin Costner was definitely more suited to the role. Crowe's followers, including Scott Grimes and Kevin Durand, provided us with entertainment throughout and were a good addition. Cate Blanchett was a standout performance for me. She portrayed the less stereotypical Maid Marion in that she showed a feisty side to the role that is rarely reported. Another stand out was Max von Sydow who was evocative and moving as Sir Walter Loxley. His was possibly the best performance. It was a nice treat to see Mark Addy also who, since 'The Full Monty', has graced us on the big screen far too scarcely.

This film brought with it much more than I expected and I was surprised at how much a enjoyed the fresh take on a classic fable.

5 comments:

Frosty's Celeb News said...

I didn't like it the first time i saw it but i decided to give it another try and it has grown on me now. I do still find it funny how Russel's English accent changes from Australian to Irish to Engligh every now and then.

http://celebritee-news.blogspot.com/

Jack Ibbetson said...

Haha I noticed that too. He really wasn't quite right in the role. Thanks for reading.

Andy Buckle said...

I didn't like this film very much. Apart from being pretty bored, the casting of Russell Crowe was poor, the chemistry between Russell and Cate way off, and the action sequences fairly generic and riddled with 'trailer moments'. This could have been a story about anyone from Richards army. Since we have these preconceptions about who this guy is (well based on other versions of the legend), I found his story to be disappointing. I was told that the original script was to actually have a more sympathetic Sheriff of Nottingham as the main character, and a less virtuous Robin Hood. The film was to be titled 'Nottingham'. Much more interesting i think...

Jack Ibbetson said...

Hmmm dunno about more interesting. I think the key to this film was to show the early story of Robin Hood which is much less documented. This brought new interest to the subject. But I would agree that Crowe wasn't the best choice.

Trin said...

I love the movie. I agree Cate was amazing, the best Marion since De Haviland. Sydow, Strong and Hurt are great, too. I think Russell was OK.

Post a Comment

Search This Blog