Monday 14 March 2011

The Ghost Writer (2010)

So I saw this film a week ago called 'The Ghost Writer'. Ewan McGregor plays a London based biographical writer brought in to finish the memoirs of Prime Minister Pierce Brosnan. That's really just about all I have to say about this film. It attempted to be edgy and vague in the way it portrayed the story but in turned out to be extremely boring. I don't even know what happened at the end; it was made out to be a huge twist and maybe it was just me but I didn't get how Brosnan's wife Olivia Williams being in the CIA affected anything. I was highly disappointed by the end which is normally not a feeling I get with Ewan McGregor films despite being my usual response to seeing Brosnan on the cast list. McGregor's accent was funny though! Yeah, clutching at straws here.

Really quite boring - 2.5/5
What is Roman Polanski doing directing a film like this? Why did he think it would do anything for his career? He has certainly gone downhill from the days of 'The Pianist'. So many films these days are on the subject of uncovering government conspiracies but what many of them include is a bit of action. This however had none. It was portrayed in such a serious manner with very little emotion. Olivia Williams was possibly the stand out performer in this one; she seemed to be the only one trying to act to an anywhere decent level. I must admit also that it was nice to see a glimpse of the ever wonderful Eli Wallach, who you will remember from 'The Holiday'. As you can surely see by now, this film has fairly little going for it.

I really don't know what else to say about this one. I certainly wouldn't recommend it if you are easily bored, I can guarantee you will be turning it off in the first half an hour. For those who enjoy serious political thrillers then I guess this is for you and I can see why people such as this would enjoy it. I just wasn't for me.

Would I recommend it? See above.

2 comments:

Larry Taylor said...

I couldn't get into this the way I wanted to either, but I did enjoy it as a classy Euro thriller. I do see where you're coming from though.

I love the review system btw.

Jack Ibbetson said...

Cheers man, I hadn't really seen anyone else doing it and it's hard to turn a rating system into something original ha.
Thanks for reading.

Post a Comment

Search This Blog