Saturday 19 February 2011

Logan's Run (1976)

Severely awesome - 5/5
So I saw this film a few months ago called 'Logan's Run'. And ohhhhhhhhhhh my god you have to watch it. I was excited before it started and was sure it would live up to my expectation of being a fairly cheesy 70's sci-fi adventure. It had surpased all my estimations by the end. From the first shot of what is obviously a small model of a futuristic city, I knew I was going to enjoy this film.
Combine a masterpiece storyline from writer William F. Nolan in which life ends at the age of 30 with the mysterious Carousel ritual, which we come to find out is just murder, and a prick of a Sandman, played by Michael York changes his stripes and falls in love, scantilly clad characters and a scene in a futuristic sex shop and you've got yourself a movie. You can add in an amazing shot of York and the wonderful Jenny Agutter wading up a river towards Washington DC, an incredibly cool but uncoordinated silver metal robot and wicked sci-fi music to boot.
As a virtual noob to the world of sci-fi but a lover of post-apocalyptic films such as 'The Book of Eli' (2010) and 'Children of Men' (2006) I was most captivated by the scenes in a destroyed Washington DC, and found myself blown away by the special effects of a movie which is almost thirty years old. And I was turned onto sci-fi forever.
Would I recommend it? Hell to the yeah. Watch!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog