Tuesday 8 March 2011

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

Easy to Relate to - 5/5
So I saw this film today called 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off'. I had previously heard nothing but praise for this movie so I thought it was about time I checked it out. I'm so glad that I did. This was totally my type of movie, the type that brings you back to your childhood in the days of attempting to get off school. Matthew Broderick plays the undeniably cool Ferris Bueller and the film charts his antics during one day. Broderick could not have been better.  His little asides to camera were ingenious, it really brought the audience into the film and enabled the viewers to relate to the ecstatic feeling upon achieving a sick day off of either work or school. In this way his character was easy to relate to, one reason why he was so popular in the movie. The film adds in elements of absurdity to make sure this film isn't like any of its type. We see literally everyone in the neighbourhood supporting the apparently 'dangerously ill' Ferris and scenes such as the parade enable you to feel his charm. We must also recognise Alan Ruck for his superb performance as Cameron Frye. I must comment and ask the reason for Ruck's unpopularity in being cast in much else aside from cameo roles in crime dramas since. How did he not get the recognition he deserved after the release of the movie? His understated and nervous character contrasted perfectly with the cool of Ferris Bueller which is one of the many reasons this film was so perfect. Furthermore, it was also funny to see Charlie Sheen looking pretty similar to how he does at the moment!
So how about that parade scene huh? Do you get some shivers down your back every time you see it? I certainly do. The song choice could not have been better; you find yourself singing along and, if nobody else is around, dancing along too. I cannot fault this film and must view it on the multitude of merits that I found when watching it.
Would I recommend it? Well I don't normally buy DVDs of films I've already seen but for this, it simply had to be done.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog