Sunday 20 March 2011

Hot Tub Time Machine (2010)

Cheap Rip-off - 2.5/5
So I saw this film a minute ago called 'Hot Tub Time Machine' and I think the film epitomises the word 'unimaginative'. For starters, its a buddy film about some guys trying to reconnect by going back to their teenage party hot spot (images of 'Grown Ups' were already in my head by this point) who then manage to go back in time due to some illegal Russian energy drink and have to try not to change the past but do anyway and somehow all come off the better. And breath.

What made this film even worse for me was the stupid links to the brilliant 'Back To The Future' which I found simply shameful. The film features the talents of Crispin Glover who you will remember as George McFly in the film from 1985. This was a pretty poor role for Glover who, if he had any sense' should have stayed well clear of this one. Add to this the inclusion of a teenager who begins to fade away because he may not have been born by the end of the film and Craig Robinson performing a song from the future and you will see where I'm coming from.

The only part of this film that I actually enjoyed was that it didn't take itself too seriously and, at times, it made jokes at its own expense. But then, if you're going to make a film that you yourself would take the piss out of for being predictable and unbelievable at the same time, why make it? I was expecting the like this one, mainly due to the main man being John Cusack who I have been a fan of since the days of 'Grosse Pointe Blank' back in 1997 in which he played the timelessly cool character Martin Blank. I find it such a shame that his career has descended to the point where he has to star in a very poor 'Back To The Future' rip off. '2012' didn't do too much better either. I hope he comes back with something that will blow us away again because I want to like everything he is in. Unfortunately it was impossible to get on board with 'Hot Tub Time Machine'. It was a cheap rip-off and a joke.

Would I recommend it? Not for one second.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog