Tuesday 15 March 2011

Grown Ups (2010)

Straight Up Poor - 2.5/5
So I saw this film called 'Grown Ups' and guess what, it's another typical Adam Sandler film with relatively few genuinely funny moments and a whole load of really very little. Sandler plays a similar character to the one he did in 'Anger Management' as a fairly laid back, normal guy. In this one he is the most successful guy in his group of friends. Surely it has come to the time now where Sandler has literally played all the roles he is capable of playing. Watching this reminded me of the 'A.W.E.S.O.M.-O.' episode of South Park where Cartman comes up with thousands of movie ideas all utilising Adam Sandler. It made me think that this scenario wasn't far off. Maybe the only real difference is that the ideas aren't coming from an 8 year old boy dressed as a robot, although they might as well have been. If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about I'm sorry, but leave a comment if you do.

Back to the film and we see both Chris Rock and Rob Schneider in their worst roles ever. The only think I have ever enjoyed about Rob Schneider's performances are that they are unbelievably strage and full of character. What Dennis Dugan managed to do with 'Grown Ups' however is remove that element completely. What is left, you may ask? Nothing. I don't even know why he was cast in the film, he literally did nothing for it. It pains me to say it, but neither did Chris Rock. He was provided with very little material with which to make us laugh in the script and I would describe it as his least memorable performance.

When I picture the pitch for the making of this film, it seems like the plan was to combine five actors, all who have previously worked successfully with each other, and pretend they are all chums. How is this at all believable? The script was like listening to old friends catching up at a party, laughing wildly as they reminisce about all the fun they used to have. You find yourself bored out of your mind and you end up wondering why they think you will laugh when you don't have a clue what they are talking about. That's what this film was in a nutshell.
Would I recommend it? It's a straight up no.

2 comments:

Dusty said...

Nice review! And an honest assessment of what I'm sure is a mediocre film. I wouldn't completely write Adam Sandler off yet...he really had some moments in Punch Drunk Love, Reign Over Me, and the vastly under appreciated Funny People. He can also have momentary attacks of comic creativity. (I laughed at him on Saturday Night Live). However, he seems lazy in his movie career over all. He has found a group of friends to make the same movie with over and over again. I'm sure it turns a profit, but why? It's kind of a loss. I'll be skipping Grown Ups all together.

Jack Ibbetson said...

Thanks for the comment! Yes, you are right not to write him off altogther, I too enjoyed Reign Over Me but don't quite agree about Funny People. It just feels like he doesn't need to do this type of film any more. Good call on not watching it. Thanks for following!

Post a Comment

Search This Blog