Friday 13 May 2011

My Cinematic Alphabet: In Depth - C

We've made it through A and B and now it's time to take a look at those films that didn't quite make it into My Cinematic Alphabet but are worthy of a mention. Be sure to check out the previous two installments and keep checking back to follow the series. Here we go:

Children Of Men
I was in absolute awe upon finishing watching this film for the first time. The final half an hour is probably my favourite extended film scene ever. The cinematography displayed towards the end is absolutely sublime and Clive Owen manages to perform a role that doesn't annoy me. Wholly original and jaw dropping film.


Castaway
We come to my favourite film of all time in the form of Castaway. It's a film that never gets old and provides what is, in my opinion, Tom Hanks' most memorable role. If you have been following the series you'll have noticed at least two Robert Zemeckis films so far. He crops up again here with a film that proves that less is more.

Cloverfield
Yet another jaw-dropping cinematic masterpiece, this time from director Matt Reeves. The handheld camera technique may not work for every film but the special effects in this one were so impressive that it felt brilliantly real. The storyline has a high level of emotion throughout. Cloverfield 2 is in the pipeline so look out for that.

City Of God

My favourite film in a foreign language right here. The film is a touching tale of childhood and growing up. Some truly shocking moments in this one combine with a thrilling, politically based plot to deliver a groundbreaking film. Unfortunately the sequel, City Of Men, doesn't live up to this standard.

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs
Here is my first guilty pleasure to find my lists so far. I can't tell you how much I laughed when I first saw this movie. The plot doesn't sound particularly intriguing when you first read it but the humour holds it together to make a brilliant film. You can tell the makers had a lot of fun making it.


You May Also Like:
My Cinematic Alphabet: In Depth - B
My Cinematic Alphabet: In Depth - A

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog