Wednesday 18 May 2011

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010)

Decent And Solid Film - 4/5
So I saw this film a few months ago called Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 1 and I thought it was about time I went ahead and reviewed it seeing as the final installment of the series will be hitting the big screen soon. I also thought it would be a good way to go back over the film to ensure I am totally ready and up to date for the big finale in July of this year.

Lets start off by pointing out that this film had it all to do. I thought the sixth Harry Potter film (Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince) was a massive let down and the distinct lack of any real action was obvious to see. Coming off the back of a fairly poor film such as this, one that couldn't even hold its own against the first few films, made it an uphill struggle to bring back the excitement and the mystery that any film based on magic should evoke. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 1 definitely didn't fail to deliver in this regard. The lack of action that frustrated me so much throughout The Half Blood Prince was improved greatly and we saw some magical special effects once again. The sixth film felt as if it was simply released to
set up the final two films, whereas this one excelled as a film in its own right. It was by no means perfect and again at times felt frustrating that the story was dragging but it certainly brings hope that the final film will blow us away. What Part 1 managed to do which I don't think Half Blood Prince did was to excite not just fans of Harry Potter but also fans of film in general. The theatres were packed to the rafters and the result was a revenue increase of $20 million. I wouldn't be surprised if the final film rakes in over $1 billion. Interestingly the first film in the series (Philospher's Stone) remain the highest grossing Harry Potter film so far. I have a feeling Part 2 will beat it.

Back to Part 1 and the onyl aspect that I can find any real fault in was the storyline, which at times dragged and brought us scenes which could have been left out. By making the final book into two films it felt that a lot of filler had to be added. Remember that Part 1 only covered the first half of the book and, whilst it is a rather long novel, there just doesn't seem enough content to make a film that remains thrilling all the way through. Part 2 shouldn't have this problem as it the final film but Part 1 definitely suffered because of it.

Overall it was an enjoyable film which had a cast to die for. I don't think it has been the best so far and I think the plot lacked filling but I would recommend it. Especially before Part 2, which I'm sure will be brilliant, comes out.

You May Also Like:
'Part 2' Will Be Action Packed Reveals Daniel Radcliffe
Preview: 'Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2'
'Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2' - Trailer

1 comments:

Castor said...

I really liked The Half Blood Prince, IMO it was the best of the first 6 (haven't seen HP 7.1 yet) as it took time to finally develop the friendship and some of the characters.

Post a Comment

Search This Blog