Monday 4 April 2011

Year One (2009)

Ridiculous - 2.5/5
So I saw this film the other night called 'Year One' and I can say that I was enjoying it for about the first 5 minutes but then I realised how idiotic it was an spent the rest of the film enjoying a few cheap laughs and enduring a ridiculous plotline. The weird thing about this film was the about of big names it attracted. Despite a laughable plotline there seemed to be a lot of famous acting talent on board. This included the main two male character Jack Black and Michael Cera, David Cross, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Vinnie Jones, Hank Azaria and Paul Rudd. Ok, so they may not be some of the biggest names, but when you look just at comedy films they are all well known. Except Vinnie Jones, I have no idea why he was in this.

Jack Black was his normal annoying self and Michael Cera somehow managed to play his stereotypical shy and understated character even whilst being dressed as a caveman. I think this film comes as a black mark on Cera's career which has included some brilliant films including 'Superbad' and 'Youth In Revolt'. These films he can take pride in but I think this one was a slight embarrassment. However, Cera was the best character in the film, and provided far more entertainment than Jack Black managed to.

To sum up how poor this film was I would say this: I think the most entertaining part of the whole thing were the outakes. In terms of outakes, they were pretty good. In terms of a film, it was pretty poor. When I started the film I actually thought I was going to enjoy it but alas it spiralled uncontrollably down into the realms of unmemorable films. This one is one to miss. A message for Michael Cera: stick to what you're good at.

You May Also Like: 
Youth In Revolt Review
Hot Tub Time Machine Review

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog