Saturday 9 April 2011

Buried (2010)

Astounding Thriller - 4.5/5
So I saw this film the other night called 'Buried' and I really don't understand that Lovefilm users have only rated this film three stars. The back of the DVD promised it would be unlike anything I'd ever seen and to a large extent this proved to be true. I've never seen a film set entirely in one place like that before. I can see why to many this may have proved boring and a reason to switch off the film half way through but for me it enhanced the 'thriller' side to the film and made it even more captivating. I'm not a massive fan of Ryan Reynolds but in this one he actually managed to surprise me and delivered an emotional and genuine performance. There was indeed very little about this film that I disliked.

What amazed me about this film was the ending. If you haven't seen it I won't ruin it but for those who have I would say the film had to end that way. It wouldn't have been half the film it was if it didn't. It was one of those films that leaves you stunned and speechless upon its ending. I actually felt a little sad too and had to tell myself that "it's just a movie". Now, if you agree with the many who put this film down on the aforementioned website, then you'll probably be shouting WHAT at the computer screen. I think this reaction stems from the fact the only person we see is Ryan Reynolds, who many wouldn't rate outside of rom-coms, and the fact the entire film is set in one place. I can understand these opinions but I allowed the film to take me away with it and I'm so glad I watched it.

If anyone is a fan of CSI you'll have seen the episode where that guy is buried alive. I say 'that guy' because I think it's the only episode I've ever seen all the way through. However, what an episode it was. Imagine that episode but as a film. And that's what 'Buried' is. It manages to be a fast-paced thriller that captivates and astounds you. The ending will blow you away.

This film is like Marmite, you either love it or hate it.

You May Also Like:
Green Lantern Trailer
 

1 comments:

Candice Frederick said...

yes!!! this was such a good movie. I've always like Ryan but never knew he could do drama. I was very impressd with his performance here, and i totally thought (in terms of being trapped in things) this was a far beter emotionally expressed experience on film than 127 Hours. Ryan really drew me in and made me feel for him, without blantantly asking me too (as in 127 Hours). also, the comparison you gave with CSI (another show i love) was perfect! that was one of my favorite episodes!

Post a Comment

Search This Blog