Monday 25 April 2011

Cyrus (2010)

Surprisingly Good - 3.5/5
So I saw this film the other day called Cyrus and I have to say I was very surprised about the outcome. I rented this along with Let Me In to provide myself with a comedy and a horror film for the next couple of days. But I have to say that Cyrus was more than just a comedy. What's strange about the film is that the DVD cover, which shows Jonah Hill making a hand gesture towards John C. Reilly behind his mother's back, doesn't do justice to what is in the film. From that cover you'd assume a constant stream of comedy and pranks in a film similar to Step Brothers. However, the film actually contained more emotion than I expected and had more of a storyline than just a son who dislikes his mother's boyfriend.

Cyrus is now probably bordering on my favourite Jonah Hill performance. He plays a very emotionally unstable boy who can't bear to see his mother (Marisa Tomei) taken away from him and who goes out of his way to break up the relationship between Tomei and John C. Reilly's character. I saw a side to Hill's abilities that I hadn't really seen before and it was a refreshing change from his usual, if hilarious, roles. John C Reilly also went up in my estimations after seeing Cyrus in a similar way to Jonah Hill.

This film really has more to offer than it gives itself credit for. The storyline was coherent and even heartfelt at times and the acting left little to complain about. At times the story became a little frustrating but only slightly.

Cyrus really is a film that will surprise you and provide you with laughs and emotion throughout. I wouldn't have thought I would be recommending it but here I am doing it. I wouldn't have thought this one would be for everyone but it's a nice film with an equally nice story.

You May Also Like:
'Step Brothers' Review

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog