Sunday 10 April 2011

The Matador (2005)

Brosnan's Best Role - 3.5/5
So I saw this film a while ago called 'The Matador' and I think I can honestly say it's the only film I've ever seen that I enjoyed Pierce Brosnan's performance. I'm entirely fed up of Brosnan's monotonous ramblings and one-dimensional performances these days (The Ghost Writer) which meant that his role as an outspoken hit man travelling the globe was totally refreshing. I actually saw a glimpse of his talents for once. The role brought him out of his shell and proved he can perform in the anti-hero role effectively. If you've lost you faith in Brosnan like I had I urge you to watch this film. It cannot make up for the bore that is his career but it sheds a new light on the man. The is his best film since 'Tomorrow Never Dies' and I never liked that film for his performance but rather, watching it as a young boy, for the explosions and cool cars.

I always find Greg Kinnear's bumbling performances of men lacking self-confidence enjoyable and 'The Matador' provides another similar role for him. Obviously I've never met him but he seems like a nice guy, the kind of guy you could have a beer with. He always comes across that way to me and I think that's why I enjoyed his performance here. He plays a character called Danny Wright who, after a major business setback, finds himself becoming friends with a hit man (Brosnan) and learning to relax. No it doesn't sound like one to watch but I'm not doing justice to the performances. Lets just say the film is better than it should be.

In short the film contains my favourite Brosnan performance to date and another Kinnear role that will make you smile. This won't be a movie everyone will like but it's worth a go.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog