Monday 18 April 2011

Planet Of The Apes (2001)

On The Fence - 3/5
So I saw this film the other day called 'Planet Of The Apes'. This was the 2001 Tim Burton remake that has taken a lot of stick since its release but I thought I'd offer up a review before the new film (Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes) is released. Unfortunately I have not at this time seen the 1968 original but will be adding it to the to-see list. With this remake in mind I can see why it has taken a lot of stick. However, the film had its moments and I wouldn't totally write it off as a mediocre sci-fi film. I think everyone gives it such bad reviews in comparison to the original. I have the benefit of it being my first foray into the Planet Of The Apes realm. I may have to edit this review upon seeing the original however.

In terms of its storyline the film was far-fetched at times and even laughable in places. Despite a sublime costume/make-up showing the film still felt comedic in places it shouldn't have. The special effects left much to be desired towards the end and I would challenge anyone to try and spot the numerous amount of mistakes that caused me annoyance at the start of the film. Mark Wahlberg gave one of his breathless and very monotonous performances just as he did in The Happening which was something I could have done without. The stand outs in terms of acting in this one would have to go to Tim Roth, who played Thade, and Paul Giamatti who was endearing as well as being slimy as the slave controller Limbo. I mentioned earlier how effective the make-up was in the film and this was proved with the fact that by the end of the film I was looking to the credits to see who was who. I didn't even realise that Michael Clarke Duncan from The Green Mile was in it until now.

As I have said I'm sure that upon watching the original I will realise that this movie was poor in comparison but for now I'll say it's just O.K. Nothing more nothing less. I wouldn't recommend it but at the same time I wouldn't condemn someone for wanting to watch it. You'll have to use your own judgement on this one.

You May Also Like:
'The Happening' Review
'Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes' Trailer

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog