Tuesday 19 April 2011

Jason Statham Up For New Thriller 'Parker'

British Hard-man Jason Statham
Taylor Hackford's new thriller Parker has attracted the interest of British action man Jason Statham reports Variety. The film will come out of a series of books by Donald Westlake and bring us the story of a thief and his code of honour which includes him not stealing money from those who need it. Director Taylor Hackford, who is married to Helen Mirren, reported his enthusiasm for his first project in the film noir genre. He said "I don't want to get stuck in a genre. What I like the most about this piece of material is that you can take a genre piece like this and turn it into a great movie'. When I first read this piece the thief/code of honour bit really put me off and made me imagine a monotonous and very cheesy film that centred around Statham who, after seeing some dire films of his (Chaos) and beginning to find to his voice very grating, has gone way down in my estimations. Who else is fed up of Statham doing pretty much the same films all the time?

However, my opinion changed slightly when I saw it was to be in the film noir genre. I can't really picture Statham doing such a film convincingly if I'm honest but at least it marks a change in what has been a very one-dimensional career. It will be interesting to see if this film is a success but I can't feel excited for much Statham does anymore. He appealed to my boyish love of explosions and car chases but now it all seems false and ridiculous. Maybe he can pull something new out of his repertoire here. 

You May Also Like:
'Chaos' Review

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog