Sunday 27 February 2011

The Wolfman (2010)

Lacked depth - 3/5
So I saw this film last month called 'The Wolfman'. I'd heard that this film was, and I quote, 'quality' and so I was looking forward to it. Furthermore, as a massive fan of Benicio Del Toro, I was looking forward to seeing him in an action packed, gory horror film, the sort of film we haven't really seen him in before. But it was about as far away from 'quality' as you could get. I just didn't get into it. The action scenes were pacy and hard to get in to and the story lacked any real substance. His performance was amazing either. I expected this film to be very dark and have a few more jumpy moments in it; it was attempted by director Joe Johnston but to me it really didn't hit the spot.The best scene was probably Benicio transforming in front of a lecture room full of the best minds of the day and beginning a wild chase through London. The scenes of Del Toro attempting to track down the killer of his brother in the town are really just filling and get very tedious towards the end. Anthony Hopkins performed well and most of the scenes he was involved with were enjoyable.
Again, like 'Clash of the Titans', we see a film that doesn't live up to its trailer. They stuffed every last bit of excitement from the film into the trailer and left the film with little else to reveal. There were attempted twists to the plot line but you could see them coming a mile off. Now, before I go too far, this film wasn't awful. It was well made and who doesn't want to see Benicio Del Toro transforming into a werewolf? It was quite evident however that it was trying to ride on the back of the successful 'Twilight' franchise. And I can't stand 'Twilight'.
The special effects were probably what held the film together. They were impressive and it was evident that huge efforts had been taken during the making of the film to make the effect wow the audience. However, it is unfortunate for the makers that good special effects don't make a bad movie good.
Would I recommend it. If you like 'Twilight' then yes. Not for me however.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog