Sunday 20 February 2011

Rambo: First Blood (1982)

Fair play Stalone - 3.5/5
So I saw this film the other day called 'Rambo: First Blood'. Never having been a fan of the stereotypical Hollywood muscle men (Schwarzenegger and Stalone), I found myself deprived of some of the worlds most famous films. As of now I am without knowledge on both the 'Terminator' and 'Rocky' film series. I decided to start with the 'Rambo' collection, and although I wouldn't say I'm turned onto these types of films, Stalone's performance was certainly better than I expected.
Stalone certainly managed to get the most out of a role that demanded little actual talking. He epitomised the estranged Vietnam War veteran coming home to find how much life had changed; you could feel his inner anguish. I did feel slightly awkward in places watching this film from a modern perspective however, as scenes of a rampaging brute blasting his way through a town are now, regrettably, not only confined to the screen. You couldn't really make this film now could you? Think about it.
So I've been partially swayed by Stalone and have opened up a realm of films that I would now like to watch. After a while however, I was slightly bored. The lack of speech did wear a bit thin by the end. As did the total inability of Teasle's (Brian Dennehy) police force to shoot straight. How many times do you want to miss? Slightly unbelievable, but then I suppose we are supposed to believe that John Rambo is more war machine that human.
Now I'll tell you what I really didn't like. The End! Having a man such as Rambo simply walked out of the police station by Richard Crenna, whose role as Trautman incidentally is probably the most boring and unemotional film character  I've ever seen, straight into the arms of the law. Lame.
Would I recommend it? Only so you can say you've seen this famous film. Not because you will be blown away by it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog