Saturday 26 February 2011

Repo Men (2010)

Law's Finest Hour - 4.5/5
So I saw this film today called 'Repo Men'. I'm not a big fan on Jude Law; films such as 'Sherlock Holmes', 'The Holiday' and 'Enemy at the Gates' have totally passed me by without making much of an impression. You'll see why I would say that this was Jude Law's finest performance to date. Had I been the director his name would not have even passed my mind. He just doesn't seem suitable for an extremely gory action thriller with some stunning fight scenes. Forest Whitaker maybe, but not Law. However, he managed to blow me away! He was hardcore.

This film totally captured me from the very beginning. With a futuristic film about a subject that needs some explaining to the audience of today, it is important to reveal the main storyline quickly. Within minutes we understood the plot and were ready to see where it would take us. It managed to take us on a thrilling journey of bloodbaths, 300-esque fight scenes and even romance. This film packed everything in. It could win an award based solely on its superb soundtrack which, like the casting of Jude Law, is surprisingly effective. Not to mention the MEGA twist right at the end. That was a stroke of genius.

Ok, so some parts of the plot didn't make too much sense. Why, as an employee of The Union, would Law have to pay for his heart after being shocked by a faulty piece of Union equipment? And how do they legally repossess the organs? These thoughts remained with me for only a few minutes. Then I was sucked in by another amazing murder. It would have been easy for this film to run away with futuristic idiocy, but it managed to stay true to the storyline surrounding Law's family. It needed this element to keep it believable.

Would I recommend it? Make it the next film you watch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog