Thursday 30 June 2011

Transformers: Dark Of The Moon (2011)

Breathtaking - 4.5/5
So I saw this film yesterday called Transformers: Dark Of The Moon and, as you are most probably aware, this is the third film under the Transformers franchise from director Michael Bay. Unfortunately for me it is the first film I've seen in the cinema this year! However, as I'm moving house and trying to save money, I still think I can call myself a movie buff. Anyway, on with the review...

The Transformers trilogy began with Transformers back in 2007 and my main problem with the film was that at times it was hard to see what was actually happening during the battle scenes between the Autobots and the Decepticons. Michael Bay managed to rectify this mistake with Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen in which we saw an increase in slow motion fight scenes and well thought out action. Despite this the second film was criticised by many (not including me as I thought it was better than the first. Just saying). Transformers: Dark Of The Moon improved even further on the action sequences. The film was truly stunning and you could tell an immense amount of imagination went in to creating the stunning sequences. I was lucky enough to see the film in 3D, which I would strongly advise you to do when you go to see this film, and it added a lot to the film. The fight scenes towards the end left me thinking 'HOW DO THEY DO IT'. It was truly breathtaking.

Whilst I was blown away with the visual effects on display, the plot certainly lacked substance in places and continuity proved a problem. The film was very poorly edited and in places felt rushed. I can't imagine how long the whole film was before they cut anything but even though we saw two and a half hours of film it still felt liked it skipped over large and important parts of the story. The scenes would sometimes skip ahead without really explaining what had happened and the problem wasn't just a one off but could be found all the way through. I think they rushed to get this movie to the big screen.

Although it doesn't sound it the aforementioned problems do really take a back seat when compared with everything that was right about this film. Bay managed to bring us the combination of a genuinely funny script with truly amazing and expansive action sequences that we have come to expect from the Transformers films. Whilst the story may not have been the greatest ever it didn't seem to matter when watching Optimus Prime
battle Sentinel Prime in a 3D masterpiece. I think you have to forget about the intricacies that turn film into art when watching something like this and simply let yourself be taken away by action.

For me Dark Of The Moon is the best out of the trilogy but I'm sure many will disagree. It got everything it needed to get right, right. If you enjoyed the first two films there is no way you won't enjoy this one.

You May Also Like:
'Transformers: Dark Of The Moon' Trailer

3 comments:

Tom Clift said...

I'm amongst those who disagree with you, especially about the humour which I thought was cringeworthy. In fact, this movie is battling PIRATES 4 right now as my most hated of the year. You are right that the action is fantastic to look at though, and you're not the only one I've heard praise the 3D. Hope you get to see more movies in the second half of the year!

Jack Ibbetson said...

I think the films are just my sort of thing, but I can see why people don't like them.

So do I! although moving house and beginning university won't help too much!

I didn't even bother with Pirates 4, the third is still in my list of worst films ever.

Joel Burman said...

I don't agree on the 3D it gave me very little excitment same with the latest Harry Potter from now on I'm onlys seeing animated films in 3D.

Post a Comment

Search This Blog