Friday 15 July 2011

My Cinematic Alphabet: In Depth - G

What is it, like week 7 of this series? I hope you're all enjoying it so far. Make sure you're up to date with A-F before we start. If your new to this feature it's a simple principle: the So I Saw This Film teams favourite films for each letter. Bring on the G;s....

Gladiator
You can never really overlook a film that won five Oscars including Best Actor and Best Picture in these types of lists, nor one that was nominated for pretty much every other award. The film brought Russell Crowe his only Oscar to date, proving that it is in fact his greatest performance, even though I have enjoyed some of his recent films including State Of Play and The Next Three Days, the latter of which you'll find a review for on this site. Another of his greatest roles was in American Gangster which featured when I looked in depth at the best films for the letter A. The music is divine and Hans Zimmer proves his genius again. You can't not have seen this.

The Green Mile
The Green Mile is one of the most emotionally evocative films out there and proved to be another hit for lead man Tom Hanks. It is a hugely successful and popular films and remains a timeless classic full of wonder. I don't think any of these lists haven't featured Tom Hanks thus far!

The Godfather
How could this not feature? For me it's not as perfect a film as it is made out to be but when you're talking about The Godfather not being perfect it still manages to be one of the most well known and best loved films of all time. Number 2 in the IMDb Top 250 only to the Shawshank Redemption (which I've never understood). 'Say hello to my little friend!'
(P.S. Godfather II and III both should be up here but I'm classing them all under the Godfather)

Gran Torino
I didn't think I'd enjoy this film all that much when I first saw it advertised. It looked like it was just an opportunity for Clint Eastwood to make a film about himself that nobody would really be able to relate to. Well I was wrong. I admit it. He manages to kick major ass despite being grey and proves once again that he is both a world-class actor and sublime director.

Grosse Pointe Blank
A slick and stylish John Cusack film that may not be for everyone but is certainly for us. The film features one of the best all time soundtracks (I'm begining to sound like the Cusack from High Fidelity now). Check this one out.

You May Also Like:
My Cinematic Alphabet: In Depth - F

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog