Tuesday 19 July 2011

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011)

A Terrible Way To End - 2.5/5
So I saw this film last night called Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 and lets me make myself very clear from the start, in my opinion it was the worst of all the Harry Potter films to date. Thats right I said it. As both the films and the books have been so popular and have been a stalwart of cinema and literature since 1997 I think people are less inclined to say anything bad about the films. Well if you don't want to read a scathing review of the final film don't read on.

Lets begin with a one word overview of about the first hour of the film. AWFUL. And no, that isn't too strong a word to use. I'm amazed that with such an amount of quality storyline handed over by J.K. Rowling that director David Yates couldn't have made more from it. Personally I haven't really enjoyed any of the films since the first four and have found major flaws in every one of the last four. The first hour of Deathly Hallows: Part 2 was simply depressingly bad. It skipped over major parts of plot and tried to focus too much on comedy. For me there should have been no place for stupid puns but somehow they found their way back. Some parts were so cheesy that they were hard to watch (especially Neville Longbottom's speech at the end) and overall the film was badly done.

The film began to pick up pace when the battle began and to be fair there was extremely effective special effects on show that did credit to those responsible. I had begun to enjoy to film after about an hour until it was again ruined by the fact that the death of one of the main characters (I don't want to spoil it for anyone) was totally skipped over and wasn't even touched upon even though a huge section was devoted to it in the books. And how about the way Ron's mum managed to defeat the second in command to Voldemort with ease? It was ridiculous! Just about the only factors that held the whole thing together as a film was the sublime performance of Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort and the special effects. That's it.

The ending was probably the worst part of the whole film. I had already read the books and so new how it would finish but I was wondering how they would do it. I didn't think they would use different actors becuase it wouldn't be a good way to end. But what they did do was truly terrible. They barely looked any different and it was cringeworthy. I'm trying not to reveal too much of what happens at this point for those who haven't seen the film or read the book.

I think the main problem with the books is that they started off as a book exclusive for children but then proved massively popular to adults alike. It is clear to see that Rowling made the story darker but she couldn't leave the children behind when finishing the story. Harry Potter should have died to save everyone else. Simple as that. But can you imagine millions of children reading how they wizarding hero had perished? It wouldn't be pretty.

The film is a HUGE dissapointment from start to finish and is an awful way to end such a series of films. However, I'm sure many will love it and I wish I could say the same. But I hated it, and that's that.

You May Also Like:
'Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 1' Review

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Harry Potter movies are awsome, if I think the others are good I think I will enjoy Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 will will be as great as the others. I am going to see it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah Jane said...

Have you read the books?

Jack Ibbetson said...

I have yeah. The films didn't come anywhere near to them in my opinion

Sarah Jane said...

I completely agree with that but I gotta admit the last one is one of the most faithful to the books though, do you not agree?

Post a Comment

Search This Blog